Monday, June 22, 2009

Flooded

Sorry for the slight delay, I am trying to keep this up twice a week but we got flooded Friday night and had to get everything out of our finished basement. A wicked storm came through and we got 4 inches in 2 hours and something like 7 inches total that night, plus the fact that it rained the night before also didn't help. We had 5 or 6 guys helping at amazing speed cleared out 2 bedrooms and a complete family room and a good deal of our storage area, the Rain came around 8 PM, I finally went to bed at 2 AM.

Up at 6:15 to get in line to rent an industrial sized fan and dehumidifier. I was there at 6:30 and was third in line, the store didn't open until 7:30. Most people were after generators as many areas south of us lost power and weren't due to have it back on until late that evening, so we were fortunate in many respects. We only lost power for a few seconds Friday night. I had to hit the grocery store because we had no food for the kids. I grabbed a few necessities like bread, milk and eggs and saw another dehumidifier on sale so I grabbed the largest one they had. I got home to find the basement floors down to cement already. Robyn and a few guys ripped the carpet and pad out with phenomenal speed and even had taken it out through the windows so it was all sitting under our deck. That was the afternoon job, taking all the carpet and pad to the curb and cleaning and the mud and debris from the area. We even sat down there to relax for a few minutes that evening.

Enough about the flood, the good news was that I got a good report from the doctor Friday, he said it was not infected and that the lead had worked its way closer to the surface and he has seen much worse. He said that a few people have actually had the wire come out in some places and that that was fine of they didn't want more surgery. The could do a plastic surgery and put a flap of skin over it or I imagine they could implant the battery pack and wire in a little deeper since mine is near or below the connection site. If it was above the site they would have to remove the connections to the brain (which could be bad!). So all in all, nothing really to be alarmed about but be careful with hats and other headgear.

While I was there we actually did what we came for! I did get turned up a notch. I have quite a big pulse width now and apparently that means that an increase or decrease in the voltage will have a much greater effect than if I had a lower pulse width. (I bought it, it made sense when he said it). I was at 1.4 and first got turned to 1.6 and felt like I had been hit with a taser gun, so we backed it off to 1.5 volts. Even that took a few minutes to get used to, feels fine now and once I actually got some sleep I will consult my wife to find out how/if my voice has changed any. The funny thing is my voice sounds perfectly normal to me and then I listen to it and it sounds all garbled. Any Speech Therapists out there? Why is this? If you hear it garbled shouldn't it sound garbled to the person speaking???

On a training note - I can proudly say that I still did my fourteen miles this weekend despite all the drama here.

Quote of the day: "Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don't worry...I'm here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you." -Charlie Brown to Snoopy

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about flooding in your basement. Theres nothing worse. Well...

    I'm glad everything is ok w/ your DBS - that would be scary if you had to redo surgery. Is this like a pacemaker that is implanted in a persons heart. My uncle had one. I know I was informed about DBS, given all the pamphlets and videos - it is a serious surgery. I'm just happy it has worked for you. Has your wife had any surgeries?

    ReplyDelete