Friday, June 5, 2009

Gruelling workout

My training group runs meets at 6:30 PM and I got there at 5:30 after moving some cement from my cousins house yesterday so I decided to do a warmup lap around the lake, about 4.32 miles, or so I am told by all the Garmin wearers of my group. This item has becoming more of a runner's accessory than the iPod. A watch that tells you exactly how far you have gone and the time you did it in, some even give you maps that help you find your way home. Very handy, will have to look into getting one.

Then the actually training started, we were to start with a 2-mile jog to the park followed by 4-8 laps up a hill and then the same 2 mile jog back to the meeting place. This 2-mile jog to get there was easy until we hit the last half mile, which was all up hill, a slow incline that just kept going up. We did a few running stretches or exercises really because as you will find out I abhor stretching, more on that later. Now time for the real workout, a decent sized hill not too long but pretty steep, a great sledding hill in the winter. Coach wants us to run for about 50 yards to the hill and be near full speed as we hit the hill and hit the hill with everything we have and then coast along the top and down and start again (I will take my camera next time as I hear we will be doing this one quite often this summer). After 8 of the I was about ready to puke and we sill had to get back, and better yet I had to carry the water jug (those gatorade size jugs football teams throw over a coach's head) home for a comment I made about ice cream during the exercises. At least they emptied it first! I jogged back the 2 miles with that jug over one shoulder and in front of me and over the other shoulder, switching when I got sore. It wasn't that heavy but quite awkward to carry while jogging. They joked that I was the mobile aid station and asked for a drink. I told them they would have to get their drinks at the bar just like everyone else. Many of our crew like to hit a local brewery after the workouts.

I got home and I still had to empty the cement chunks out of my car and walk the dogs. What took me 20 minutes to put into the car, took me twice that to remove from the car. It is for a project for my backyard, we are trying to alleviate some of the dampness way in the back. The dogs were so pent up by now that I gave up after a quarter mile and just let the leashes go and ran along side of them. They know the only purpose of the leash is to keep me with four feet of them. The pull the leash taught and drag me down the usual route unless there is something interesting to smell. Last time I weighed them JoJo, a German Shepherd, was 63 pounds and Clancy, a Kelpie/shepherd mix, was 56 pounds, so 120 pounds of dog that sometimes wants to go 2 directions at once, or worse if JoJo smells a rabbit or squirrel she will go full bore after it and Clancy will freeze in the middle of the sidewalk. I usually end up trip over Clancy and jerking both dogs by the neck back to me, 1 from each direction. It is always important that I watch and see the rabbits and squirrels before JoJo and the small dogs before Clancy (he hates yappers as much as I do!)

Quote of the day: The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. -- Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your blog made me exhausted just reading about it. I am inspired by you and you will and your drive. Were you exhausted after doing all of this? How does your body feel? I am nervous and excited to start my training. I know my trainers want to start me in baby steps as this is all new to me. I look forward to more entries!
    Joey

    ReplyDelete