Sunday, October 4, 2009

Look out for Papa Smurf!



This is my get-up for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Look for blue on October 11th!
I called this my "blue man" outfit and while I was still contemplating wearing it for the race I wore it to one long run. I expected to hear all sorts of blue man group jokes and the first one to see me says, "Hey, papa smurf." I hadn't even thought of that, 20 years ago, probably; but this came well, out of the blue. I about fell over laughing.
I should have shaved but oh well, I probably won't before the race either so at least you know what to look for. The lighting caught the reflective strips causing me to "Shine." Sorry for the stupid grin on the bottom one, I thought it had already taken the picture.

Had a great time watching the mighty Spartans from Michigan State defeat the former evil empire, now the evil fallen empire; Michigan State 26 Michigan 20. But is always nice to keep your in-state rival in their place.

Besides that it was a pretty crappy weekend, most of the week actually. It was rainy and 50's all week here. Three or four times I walked the dogs in the rain, never fun when you have 3 of them. Drying them off afterward is the worst part, 12 paws to clean and 3 underbellies to get; and if it is raining hard, their backs. Today we had a recovery day. Robyn still had a fever at noon and the kids were just getting over something and I didn't feel well all last week. So none of us left the house, besides me to walk the dogs.
Since this is race week and I won't be blogging to much longer I just want to say I am honored to be asked to do this and humbled by all the support; from those suffering with dystonia, have a loved one suffering, and especially those simply supporting our efforts who could easily turn their back on us but choose not to. I have talked a lot about qualifying for Boston and that is my goal. If I run a perfect race and the conditions are right it may happen but I want you to know I will finish this race for you no matter what happens. I will not let you down, I will finish this race if I have to crawl the entire way and it takes me 24 hours.
Quote of the day: When the world says, "Give up,"Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."~Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. From all of us at the DMRF, we thank Brian for all of his hard work to make a difference!!!

    ReplyDelete