Monday, September 21, 2009

My theory on stretching

You will probably never talk to another runner who will openly say this but I hate stretching! And not jut doing it, I hate the entire idea of it. There are more stretching injuries than running, or insert your sport here, injuries. If you are going to exercise do it and don't spend 15 minutes stretching.

Science has proven very inclusive evidence on stretching but most summarize the same way - "it is a good idea but we can't show any evidence of any benefit from stretching." I will agree if done properly it isn't harmful just a waste of time.

You know what the best form of stretching is - exercise. Have you ever seen a 6 year old with a pulled hamstring? Kids run around all day and countless times a day go from standing still to a dead sprint. If your average adult over 40 did that they would likely pull a muscle but the kids do it everyday so there muscles are used to it.

My suggestion for your average inactive adult who wants to get active would be to start slowly an expect the muscles to be sore when you are done. It is these type of people who injure themselves stretching, they needlessly stretch the muscle far more than it will be stretched in whatever activity they will be doing and POP!

My training is going the same, 2 good runs followed by a very poor long run. I ran a solid 13 miles Tuesday and then did 10 more on a hilly course south of Zeeland. Especially the Thursday run felt great, but then again Saturday morning I tried to run 20, I was winded but not too bad after 15 but it was hotter than I expected and I should have drank more water and eaten more. I badly wanted to prove to myself that I could push through the pain and finish the 20 miles but I physically couldn't do it and ended up actually vomiting profusely after about 17 and a half. That is called hitting the wall. My stomach started to hurt a mile earlier but I thought it would go away sooner or later and sure enough after I puked it did! I recovered quite nicely actually, 2 hours later I felt fine, all things considered.

Quote of the Day: "My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." Indira Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment