Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2 tempo runs?

I get my DBS turned back down to where it was before my last appt. now the day after my marathon, since I will be in town I might as well. I should have left well enough alone instead of try for better results with my voice. History has taught me that was about as good as it was going to get. When they voltage gets to high I am constantly on edge causing me to be irritable, and my voice actually gets worse. If the voltage is turned up way too high my entire body want to curl up in a ball and I absolutely cannot speak. I am guessing it is what being hit with a police taser feels like. This will also give me an excuse to stay in Chicago for another day.

In training yesterday we did 2 4 mile tempo runs. If you know what a tempo run is you know how insane this is! This was one I am REALLY glad I did with a group. The first lap of the lake (4.25 miles around) I was going along, no one else near me from .5 mile to 2.5 miles then I see Mike, who will finish the Chicago marathon in about 2 hours and 50 minutes, flying up behind me and I try to keep him in my sights. I actually gained a little ground on him before we hit a hill and I fell behind but was proudly staying about the same distance back until a half mile to go or less and he put it into another gear that I just don't have. I very happily finished in under 27 minutes.

After a little rest and water we went and did the same course in reverse. Again we started with a group of about 5-6 runners and I started pulling away after half a mile then I saw Christian up ahead and set him as my goal. Chris is also quite a bit faster than me but he has been fighting injuries. I did manage to catch him at 2 miles but that only woke him up from his cruise control. He slowly pulled away from me but I could still see him so that gave me something to shoot for. I was absolutely stunned to see that I had run within 2 seconds of my first time (one was 26:46 and one was 26:48 but I forgot which lap was faster). I definitely have Chris to thank for that second run and Mike for coming along at just the right time in the first run.

Quote of the day: “Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.” - Mark
Twain.

No comments:

Post a Comment