Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wrecked

I am completely wrecked after the 22 mile run Saturday on the rolling hills of Ada, MI. Every muscle in my legs where in absolute agony, from about mile 15 til now. At one point I said, "Why are we doing this? We're running the Chicago Marathon."(a notoriously flat course whose largest hill is about 20 feet). It got so absurd that we got to the top of one hill and me and 3 people I was with all audibly moaned because another sharp downhill lie ahead. Once your legs are this sore running down a steep hill hurts worse than running up one.

I ran 5 today and I think that helped speed the recovery some. I was more sore after this 22 than the last but I feel much better 36 later than I did last time so that is encouraging. Oh, and another positive thing was that my despite my legs being extreme sore they never cramped up during my run, the calves are what especially worry me. I think the calve sleeves are working! I did cramp up once after the run when I tried to sit down in the parking lot afterwards, one calf cramped up and one muscle in my thigh of the opposite leg. I was unsure about them when I bought them but I will definitely be wearing them come October 11.

After running a hilly 22 I went home and had to mow the lawn and get ready for the extended family. I will show you photos later but we had 14 of us in all. My aunt brought her grandson from New Jersey, might be East, East Pennsylvania she just moved so I am not quite sure, very close to the border anyway, just north of Philadelphia. We also had my other aunt and uncle from Chicagoland, whom were gracious enough to invite our family in for the marathon. Actually they are so nice and we have stayed there so often we pretty much invited ourselves and I just notified them! Also in attendance Saturday were my parents and my cousin and her husband.

Quote of the day: "If the leader pushes, I will go with him, even if I die by the roadside." Rodgers Rop, on winning the NYC marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment