Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The new dog and a personal best 2 mile run!


Roo, our new dog, is an Australian Kelpie just like Robyn's dog when she came to the States, which is why we had to have him. We heard he was drugged, given uppers to perform as some show dog and then downers so he could sleep and travel. He certainly doesn't look like a show dog now but I am sure he will perk up. His ears are pointed and supposed to be up like a Shepherd but they are mostly down yet like he is scared or at least unsure of his surrounding yet.

Robyn has taken him swimming in a local pond and creek. I have taken the 3 of them for a few walks at night and now Robyn is walking them in the morning as well. Roo could stand to lose a few pounds, Clancy as well.
On the running front my heel has healed up nicely and I did 16 very early Saturday morning before we went to get Roo, just before the skies opened and it downpoured. I talked to runners from the group and they said it rained for almost their entire run and as they were running one stretch on a bike path they said it was 3 inches deep, nothing like running in an ankle deep stream! One person said his shoes were still damp on Monday.
We ran a timed 2 mile run last night as part of our training, an event I ran in middle school. I finished in 12 minutes and 9 seconds! I was so proud of myself. I tried it a few years ago and I couldn't beat my middle school time of 13:01. Yesterday I was aiming for 90 second laps, I did pretty well but lap 3 was inexplicably 96 seconds while every other was 90 or 91. I was at 6:09 after 1 mile so that means I did the second mile in 6 flat. That is pretty much my top speed, I have to rely on endurance!
I have 25K figured out, I just need to learn to hold that for 11 more miles. I have only walked once in 5 local 25K races but was forced to walk in all 5 of my marathons. I have 2 goals for this race - finish under 3:15 and finish without needing to walk.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm all caught up on your blogs. Sorry to hear of your heal injury. Ufta - that sounds painful. Glad its doing better though.

    Have you explained dystonia to your daughters? My nieces and nephews know something isn't right w/ me, I need help w/ some stuff but I don't think they know about dystonia.

    I received my first Dystonia Dialogue and it was interesting reading others stories. As I had never heard of anyone who has it until you, and then the Twitter Dystonia Awareness Day. I have never been one to dwell over something I didn't know much about - It is what it is.
    It is nice there is more awareness. Tammy is helping me set up a fundraising form too.

    Take care & keep in touch.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,
    How did you get the Support for DMRF on your page? I can't figure out how to do it??

    Thanks Joey

    ReplyDelete