Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Be your own doctor

I didn't exactly ask my doctor if it was a good idea, or even if it was okay, to run a marathon. I brought a running book I was reading at the time (I have learned to always bring a book to the doctor and to the DMV!), he noticed it and commented on it and looked a little perplexed and a littled worried. I simply said, "It's like me running after my little kids, only I keep going, and going, and going." I also commented about how I had asked if I could physical activity before I had it implanted and the only thing I was to avoid were hard blows to the head (When would this ever be a good thing I thought but did keep my mouth shut). It was obvious he had never even given an ounce of thought to some one running a marathon with a DBS. He considered it and said something about the constant jarring with each step. My reply was, "it is the same as walking, only faster." Well, not really but he saw my point, if it was not going to withstand this then what would be the limitations, no jumping?

Ironically, one of my impulse generators (battery pack) did break later that year but 3 weeks after I had completed the marathon! Maybe it couldn't stand the inactivity?

We are just getting into the meat of our training, an 18-mile long run this week and the first 20-miler next week. And the midweek workouts are getting tougher too, yesterday was 8 400 meter runs at a 1:22 pace. This is the first speed workout where I did more repeats over my time than under, and it was still brutal.

Quote of the day: "The unfortunate thing about this world is that food habits are so much easier to give up than bad ones." William Somerset Maugham

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Brian I think you are a good spokesman for Dystonia. If you believe in yourself than anything is possible. I don't have a DBS as I have stated and I did check w/ my Dr's who were very encouraging. If we fail we fail, but if we don't try then how will we know if we CAN do something. You are an inspiration.
    Since this is all new to me, my trainers said to take it slow.

    ReplyDelete